Thursday, May 29, 2008

Social nyetworking

I just signed up for a Facebook account as part of Gail Borden Learns. I did the bare minimum--I made up an imaginary friend, Ginger Schnapp. I didn't create a full profile, not even for this imaginary person, and I don't feel comfortable trolling around for friends. I really don't care for social networking--nyet to that! It creeps me out. I see 13 yr. olds masquerading as 21 yr. olds on myspace and that isn't appropriate. Those 13 yr. olds aren't being forced, either; they like to pretend they're 21 yrs. old and sexually active. Whatever!

I have plenty of friends in the real world, and would rather cultivate those friendships. It's bad enough that I feel forced to do online dating, which is emotionally debilitating, so I'm not keen on the idea of socializing in cyberspace.

I suppose a library could set up a myspace or Facebook account that would act as a portal and draw people to its website. Maybe it would attract teens who are on myspace and Facebook, although frankly, if I were 13 yrs. old and on myspace, I wouldn't be visiting the library--I'd be pretending I was 21 yrs. old and talking to bikers. I wonder how many teens would come to the library through social networking sites. Heck, they come to the library already to use the computers so they can pretend to be 21 yrs old talking to bikers! We've already got 'em! ;-)

Needless to say, I probably won't be remembering my Facebook user name and password...I don't really care either! :-)

No comments:

My Blog List

  • Adam’s Friend’s Burrito Recipe - I wonder how many times I've made these burritos. 1 onion, chopped 2 Tbsp oil 2 Tbsp chili powder 6 cloves garlic, minced 4 tsp dried oregano 2 tsp cumin ...
    4 years ago
  • It's April, say what? - 1) It is already April. How this happened I do not know. I will probably say this again on May 2nd as well. 2) I haven't been writing here. I enjoy stating...
    11 years ago