Thursday, November 6, 2008

My mind's eye


There's a vast distance between the artistic vision of my mind's eye and the pedestrian reality that results from my creative endeavors. The scarf I'm knitting, the soup I'm cooking, the photos I'm taking--I see a glorious possibility in my mind, and then reality falls short. Why is that? Is that a measure of true artistic talent, if you can realize what you see in your mind's eye? If that's the case, then I fall woefully short. But I keep trying.

This photo I took this morning, of what in my mind's eye was a breathtaking sherbet and a dramatic silhouetted tree. Um, it's just a pic of a tree.

In my mind's eye, I pictured glowing candles reflected in the glass, beacons of light in the autumnal dark. Ok, I took pictures of little blobs of something:

A friend said that sometimes when you don't have your camera, all you can do is remember the moment in your mind's eye. The mind's eye really is the finest camera, paintbrush, pen, and clay. What we see in our minds never fully translates to the work of our hands, but there is joy in trying to duplicate what we envision. It's just that Reality is such a harsh and exacting mistress!


No comments:

My Blog List

  • Adam’s Friend’s Burrito Recipe - I wonder how many times I've made these burritos. 1 onion, chopped 2 Tbsp oil 2 Tbsp chili powder 6 cloves garlic, minced 4 tsp dried oregano 2 tsp cumin ...
    4 years ago
  • It's April, say what? - 1) It is already April. How this happened I do not know. I will probably say this again on May 2nd as well. 2) I haven't been writing here. I enjoy stating...
    11 years ago