Sunday, October 12, 2008

Nice rack!

I have a nice rack, if I may say so myself. I don't have too much trouble strapping it in, though sometimes I need someone to help me. Once my rack is adjusted, it's ready to go places!

It holds two bikes when it's strapped onto the trunk, without marring the finish of my car. It's really a nice rack!

Today was one of those perfect October days, with a deep periwinkle sky and bright sunshine. The leaves are starting to turn, and there were ruby-red and pumpkin orange trees brilliant against the clear sky. It was the perfect day for a bike ride! I went to Moraine Hills State Park for the first time in my life, and it was great biking! Moraine Hills, which is on River Rd. just north of Rt. 176 in McHenry, is a little gem of a state park. It has 10 miles of crushed limestone trails which are really packed down well, and you can bike or hike or just meander as you wish. The trails are loosely arranged in concentric loops, with a couple of little side loops here and there. It would be pretty difficult to get lost in Moraine Hills--the trails are clearly marked and most are one way, so just follow the big huge arrows of helpfulness. If you're something of a rebel, the compliant nature of Moraine Hills may not be to your liking. But for you rebels, you can ride around Lake Defiance, which rather defiantly dried up several years ago and is no longer a lake.

The trails are rather hilly--a grueling workout on a bike! Grueling in a good way though, like your heart is about to jump out of your ribcage and run for the nearest park bench. I managed to shift accurately and made all of the hills, an accomplishment for me. I won't be the King of the Mountain Stage in the Tour de France anytime soon, much less the Tour de McHenry. But I was pretty excited about going up and down all those little hills! The scenery is really pretty--lots of forested areas filled with dappled sunshine--my close friends know what a freak I am about dappled sunshine--can't get enough of that dappled sunshine!

I forgot to take my camera, though. I'm irked about that. Oh well. Instead of posting photos here, I'll just offer to mime the whole ride for anyone who asks.

4 comments:

Bluestem said...

OOOooo, is it my old rack?

Tish said...

Yes, now that I know how to tie half-hitch knots, it's a breeze to strap it onto my car! Well, sort of a breeze. Maybe more like a stiff wind that dies down...

Orgfan said...

Are you aware, Tishoo, of the double entendre in your first paragraph? If you don't know what I'm referring to, just Google "nice rack".

Tish said...

Of course there's a double entendre! I wouldn't have it any other way! ;-)

My Blog List

  • Adam’s Friend’s Burrito Recipe - I wonder how many times I've made these burritos. 1 onion, chopped 2 Tbsp oil 2 Tbsp chili powder 6 cloves garlic, minced 4 tsp dried oregano 2 tsp cumin ...
    4 years ago
  • It's April, say what? - 1) It is already April. How this happened I do not know. I will probably say this again on May 2nd as well. 2) I haven't been writing here. I enjoy stating...
    11 years ago